Mission and Vision
Vision: Every School an EcoSchool!
From individual behaviours to collective impact, all members of school communities are empowered with the knowledge, skills, perspectives, and desire to act as environmentally responsible citizens.
Our mission is to nurture environmental leaders, reduce the ecological impact of schools, and build environmentally responsible school communities. To do this we:
- Certify K-12 schools in environmental learning and action. Learn More.
- Create a vibrant network of schools, school boards and community partners. See the School Map.
- Build strong EcoTeams with training sessions and tools. See Best Practices.
- Embed ecological literacy into the curriculum and daily practices. Visit our Resource Library.
- Support student-centered learning and action within the student’s sphere of influence.
- Provide engaging resources to develop ecological literacy.
- Ongoing development of new resources to improve environmental learning and school operations.
- Annual revision of certification program based on school and user feedback.
- Committed to transparency and integrity through a robust certification program.
- Sharing data, best practices, and lessons learned to inform the certification process.
- Provides resources and support to help the provincial school system implement sustainable environmental education initiatives.
In 2002, the EcoSchools program was developed by the Toronto District School Board. Following its creation, a group of education stakeholders came together to address environmental issues in the school system.
In 2005, seven school boards, York University, and the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority then adapted the EcoSchools program and expanded it across the province to become Ontario EcoSchools.
Now, nearly 15 years later, we are the only voluntary certification program in Ontario that recognizes and celebrates schools for their environmental learning and action.