Empower Youth to be Environmental Citizens
- Ontario EcoSchools reaches over 850,000 students every year, from kindergarten through grade twelve.
- A student-centered focus develops leadership skills through ecological practices.
- The EcoReview process helps schools implement environmental action plans.
Develop Ecological Literacy
- Ecological literacy combined with action falls within the sphere of student influence.
- Teaching resources are linked to the Ontario Curriculum and Ministry of Education policy.
- The program kick-starts a systems approach – which is at the heart of ecological literacy.
Build a Whole School Community
- Certification provides recognition, assessment, and celebration of achievements on an annual basis.
- There are numerous opportunities for everyone in the school community to work together.
- EcoSchools creates multi-stakeholder EcoTeams within both schools and the school board.
Strengthen Capacity in Your School System
- Classroom learning and curriculum become aligned with school operations and facilities.
- Using EcoSchools, school boards create and implement board-wide waste minimization and energy conservation standards.
- Ontario EcoSchools shares best practices to inform environmental education at every level of the school system.
Join a Province-wide Network
- The program has been adopted by 1,839 schools in 56 school boards across Ontario.
- Participating schools come from northern regions, French-language schools, and from rural and urban areas.
- All publicly funded schools can participate, certify, and be recognized for their achievements, free of cost.